Saturday, September 12, 2009

Pitas

The weather is getting cooler and today I was in the mood to experiment and cook something new and filling, so I decided to try my hand at making pita bread. I found a recipe to cook them on the stovetop, since I don't have an oven, bought some yeast, and got to it. I filled them with some carrots, onions and tomatoes that I cooked, and a little Parmesan cheese.

Here's the dough this afternoon, starting to rise:
One just cooked, and another on the way:
The filling:
And the final product, with some cucumbers on the side:

All in all, they didn't turn out too bad. The dough wasn't as light as I would have liked, and I don't have a serrated knife, so I kind of butchered the bread trying to cut them open, but they tasted good and the filling stayed in. The rest of the dough is in the fridge, so I'll probably cook a couple more tomorrow at dinner.

Any other ideas for stuff I can make, sans oven or microwave?

1 comment:

  1. The pitas look great, you will have to give me the recipe!
    Oh and as far as easy cooking ideas go, you should get a crock pot! They are user-friendly and versatile! I can ship one to you if you'd like!

    ReplyDelete