Sunday, September 27, 2009

Chuseok presents

Well it's almost that time of year- time for Chuseok, of course. What's Chuseok, you ask? It's basically the Korean version of Thanksgiving, apparently. I don't really know much else about it. I know we're having a party for the kindergarteners on Tuesday and they're all going to be wearing traditional hanbok, so I will definitely have pictures to show, but that's about it.

I have gotten Chuseok presents though. One of my student's mom sent in a box of pears for each of his teachers, so I had a huge couple poound box of pears last week. I shared half of them with coteachers and students and took the rest home. Korean pears are about 4 times the size of pears at home, so I only had 4 pears at home but it was still a stretch to eat them all. They were very yummy though, and it was very nice of the mother to give them to me. I wish I had taken a picture, but I didn't really think about it until they were gone.

Also on Friday the head office sent presents for all of the teachers. A few weeks ago we had a sign up sheet where we got to pick one of two gift boxes that we wanted. One was full of spam and oil, the other was toiletries. Needless to say, I got about a year's supply of toothpaste and shampoo, as well as some soap. Just to share the scope of this with you, I took a picture:
So yeah, happy Chuseok everybody! I'll update again after the party to show you my kids in their traditional costumes.

Countdown to China: T-minus 4 days

No comments:

Post a Comment